Since we're living right smack dab in the middle of farmland, we've decided to take advantage and I've been doing some recipe testing. Recently, I saw a Epicurious recipe for pickled strawberries and after this year's abundant harvest of Oregon strawberries, I figured these would go perfectly with a few ideas I've been toying with. I'll save those dishes for another day, but here is a quick pickle recipe for those deliciously sweet strawberries.
Quick Pickled Basil Strawberries
- 1 lb. Fresh or Frozen Whole Strawberries
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup White Basalmic Vinegar
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla or 1/2 Fresh Vanilla Bean
- 1 Sprig of Basil
- Clean strawberries.
- Mix water, vinegar, sugar, and vanilla in small sauce pan and heat to medium high.
- Bring pickled juice to boil, lower heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put strawberries in large jar with sprig of basil.
- Pour pickle juice over strawberries and close lid.
- Let marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour minimum. Can be kept for up to 6 months.
Use in salads, ice cream topping, and pretty much anything else. I'll be using these as a fruity addition to my farro salad.