When I first tried a bacon wrapped date, it was at Toro Bravo, a Spanish inspired tapas restaurant owned by John Gorham in Portland, OR. I was blown away. The salty, smokiness of the bacon perfectly complimented the chewy sweetness of the medjool dates. Inside was a pop of crunch and the creamy, footy flavor of a blue cheese. While I still use a nut for crunch and blue cheese, I’ve added a little spice to the honey topping and only use marcona almonds for the filling. The result is the ultimate appetizer and a snack that will surely become an addiction.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
12 dried Medjool dates
12 marcona almonds
Wedge of good blue or gorgonzola cheese
6 strips of good, thick bacon
4 tbsp honey
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp tumeric
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- Cut a small slice into each date and remove pit.
- Stuff one almond and small sliver of cheese into dates.
- Cut each strip of bacon in half and wrap each half around the dates.
- Place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake the bacon-wrapped dates for 15-20 minutes or until bacon is cooked.
- In a small pot, melt honey over low heat and add spices.
Drizzle honey over cooked dates and serve warm.